Epocrates Online

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

are we tidak apa?

I've always regard myself as a laid back, easy going kind of guy. Even 'close one eye' on a lot of the so called regulations. But when it comes to patient safety, there is no way I'm going to tolerate 'tidak apa' attitute.

Last saturday when I was oncall, the 1st case in the morning was an exploration and repair of a tendon cut on the forearm due to a deep laceration wound.

I explained brachial plexus block to the patient but he refused a regional anaesthesia and ask for a general anaesthesia. Since patient refuse is a contra-indication for regional block, and he was fasted with no airway difficulty, I agree for General Anaesthesia without much ado.

However, when I go through the routine check, these were the photo I took from the medical gasses alarm panel:



One of the main panel was totally offline.



All gases were in alarm status except the 4 bar air and vaccum.

Asked the staff nurse incharge to called up the support service to call up the support service to get it sorted out. Guess what she told me? It's ok, u can carry on, last night also like that and they switch off one of the panel becoz it keeps alarming... Mind u this is from a senior staff who is almost going to retired, not those rookie NST was complaining about!

Huh? WTF? Last night already like that and they just switch off the alarm panel and we suppose to continue gas down our patient in this condition??? I was benggang... Called the support service hotline myself, 5 minutes later a technician came to OT and told us his colleagues were at the gas plant checking the system... We got everything back to normal in 20 minutes time.

Waking up cost has a story about OT nursing manager (sister in our local system) messing with his oxygen system while a case is going on...

So what I'm trying to say is, those new nurses probably needs more tutoring but some senior one are bad examples for them!

p/s: dun get me wrong, I do hold high regards on those good nurses that I've work with over the years.

2 Comments:

At 5/18/2006 6:53 AM, Blogger sbanboy said...

Wah .... good that you made a big fuss ... patient's life comes first

Yes I remember u r the ultra cool guy :D

 
At 5/19/2006 8:49 PM, Blogger iml said...

Thanx to your acute sense of responsiblity otherwise I shudder to think what might happen one day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

counter create hit