Epocrates Online

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Lokun-wanna-be

The Star reported that all the 1,800 PSC medical scholarship hopefuls will now undergo a mandatory three-day course at hospitals, including visits to the mortuary and operating theatre.

Yesterday, 3 such groups came to my OT. Some of them are extra enthu, stayed till 9pm to watch the op done in oT. I openly invite them to tag with any of the house officer to really get a hang of what's going on in real life. None do so.

I dun think whatever we said now will deter these students from taking medicine. They are all ‘berkobar-kobar’ (burning), want to be a doctor.

One of my colleague told me he heard from someone who ask why are the doctors trying to deter us from taking medicine? Why are we trying to scared them away? (to protect them or ourself?) I don't think we really wants to stop all of them from doing medicine.

We just wants them to know the reality. It is a tough life ahead. I just wish I can show them enough reality of life as a doctor in m’sia context esp. in govt settings (3 days is not enough but it’s a good start). Try arrange them in smaller groups and ask them to tag EOD next time, please.

Today I'm not in OT but I heard some negative comments from my colleague regarding these lokun-wanna-be. I hope they will change their attitutes other wise their life will be very very tough ahead even if they are not a doctor later.

For those already know what’s the hardship ahead of them and still choose to persuit medicine, I wish them all the best.

4 Comments:

At 3/31/2006 8:33 AM, Blogger iml said...

My daugther is doing her 'O' level this year. Her aspiration is to be a peadiatrician. I wonder if she will still want to be one when she is exposed to the harsh reality of life. Maybe she should be attached to a doctor mentor in Penang to get the real picture.

 
At 4/10/2006 8:39 PM, Blogger LT said...

dear it's my life story...
u may email me @palmoanestATgmailDOTcom, mayb we can find a willing paediatrician for her to tag with. Anaesthetic life is quite different from paediatric.

 
At 4/15/2006 7:48 PM, Blogger Dr. David Teoh said...

What will make these aspiring future doctors reliase that being a doctor is not easy?!

 
At 4/16/2006 7:06 PM, Blogger LT said...

emrcian: Welcome and thanx for the comment. Exposure is a good way.. I dun think i know the perfect answer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

counter create hit