Epocrates Online

Friday, May 25, 2007

Poor quality devices III

The NEJM posted a complication of central venous catheterization on the 24th May.

I almost had a retained guide wire the other day when I was pulling out the guide wire of a triple lumen I inserted on one of my new case during my last call.

The outer coiled part of the guide wire detatched from the inner core of the guide wire as I was pulling it out. Luckily I notice the difference and stop pulling the softer part and use a needle holding forcep to clamp on both the core and the coil at the hub of the triple lumen to pull it out.

Imegine if I continue to pull on the detatched coiled end, it may detatch completely from the core wire and left the core wire in the cetral vain!

Here's the picture of the soften distal end of the guide wire. See how easy I made 2 loops from the soften wire (the detatched coiled part).

2 Comments:

At 6/02/2007 12:28 AM, Blogger Neurolept said...

Thanks for your visit.
I'm an anaesthetist too BTW albeit much older than you,I think.

 
At 6/02/2007 9:17 PM, Blogger LT said...

Glad to have another anaesthetist blogger here. Thanks for leaving a comment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

counter create hit