Epocrates Online

Friday, October 14, 2005

I became Spotty! (Pityriasis Rosea)

Damn! Lots of rashes and lots of scratching before I finally get the diagnosis right...

More then a week or so ago, I suddenly developed few rashes on my body. These later become more and more serious. the 1st 2 days it looks like some eczema (I do have sensitive skin that easily developed rashes), so I didn't really bother about it.

One fine day when I was oncall, it suddenly became full blown!

It looks like this (not my pic):



Scary isn't it? Mine is even worst! My wife was very worried that it is infectious that I might infected the whole family. By that time, I don't think is is something infectious, and I knew it wasn't just allergy eczema, but what the heck is it?? I have no idea, non of my colleague has any clue too...

Went on to the internet did quite a lot of reading and narrowed down my differential diagnosis. However, to be certain, on my post-call day, I went to see a GP with a diploma in skin (hint: he was a skin MO in Pg). Well, he is fast and straight to the point. Spot diagnosis! It's Pityriasis Rosea.

So now I'm on steroid cream PRN basis, was on Hydrocort on the 1st 2 days when I flare up thinking it was some kind of allergy reaction. And I've just started Oral Erythromycin eventhough there's only one study shows it's effectiveness.

Looks like I have to be 'Spotty' for few more weeks as it is usually self limiting benign, acute condition.

While I was doing my reading on internet, came upon this interesting story of <The Pityriasis Rosea Blues> by Matt Lebofsky. Thought of just share it with you all for a light reading.

...The nurse led me to an examination room and... Her expression turned from complete and utter apathy to total giddy surprise. "Oh, wow!" she said. "Oh, wow!" she repeated... And as she disappeared my mind reeled with all the possible horrible outcomes of my affliction...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

counter create hit